College Office » Applying for Financial Aid

Applying for Financial Aid

Applying for financial aid can be a very confusing process.
Because each college or university has its own specific requirements for financial aid, you are advised to read all applicable material, and carefully follow the procedures. It is imperative that you pay close attention to the details and deadlines of each school. Not doing so may cost you thousands of dollars!
The HSMSE College Office suggests that you consult the Financial Aid Administrators or Officers of the schools to which you have applied. Please also consider consulting with a tax professional, financial planner, the websites listed below, and the agencies and programs listed in the Financial Aid Handbook.
Please see or contact Mrs. Barnewold at [email protected] if you have any questions!
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is a form colleges and universities use to determine your eligibility for federal, state, and college-sponsored financial aid. This includes grants, loans, and work-study programs. The maximum Pell Grant award is $7,395 a year. Even though FAFSA is the application for federal aid, you will need to fill the form out in order to receive any state or college-sponsored financial aid as well.  The FAFSA is now open for 2024!
To file your application, both you and your parent must each create an FAFSA ID.
For students who intend on attending a college in New York State, they my also fill out the TAP application. This should be done after submitting your FAFSA, because much of the information that you need for TAP will be populated from FAFSA. The maximum TAP award is $5,665 a year.
The CSS Profile is used by some colleges, universities, and scholarship programs to determine the amount of institutional funding they may be able to provide to students. The deadline to complete the CSS profile varies by the decision plan chosen by the student. Please be sure to check the deadline date for each school that requires the application. 
Helpful Resources